As an Administrator, it’s important to understand what your employees are experiencing when they log in to Maxwell to shop for their benefits. To view your portal through the eyes of an employee, you can create a test employee and then walk through the Employee Experience.
This will require you to log into Maxwell using your Administrator access. You should have received a “Welcome” email with directions on logging into Maxwell for the first time, and setting up your password. Once you have set up your password, you’ll need to create your test employee to get started.
Creating Your Test Employee
- The first screen that you will see upon logging in is the Dashboard.
- In the upper right-hand corner of your screen click Add/Edit Employees > Add Employee to create your test employee.
- You will now need to fill in some required information to create your test employee’s profile. Please follow the tips below for adding your test employee.
- Eligibility Group – select a group from the drop-down
- First Name – Test
- Last Name – A Sample
- Email – asample.[Insert Employer Name]@maxwellhealth.com (ex: asample.ABCcompany@maxwellhealth.com)
- Date of Hire – date that you are adding test employee
- Annual Salary – only required if you are offering salary based benefits (life, LTD, etc.)
- Click Add Employee once all information has been input.
- The Send Welcome Email prompt will appear. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Skip as this is a test employee.
- The system will now bring you to the newly created test employee's profile.
- Navigate to the upper right-hand corner of the employee's profile and click Log in as Employee.
- A new window or tab will appear in your internet browser. This is the employee portal for your test employee. Depending on your setup, you may be required to accept a Terms of Service before seeing messaging to Set up your profile.
There are three key steps employees will typically take in Maxwell when selecting benefits:
- Entering their personal and dependent information
- Shopping for benefits
- Reviewing selections and submitting enrollment
Please use this employee to walk through the employee experience detail below, and complete all actions listed under Try it Out.
Set up your Profile
As an Administrator, there are a few basic pieces of demographic information that you will need to enter to get a new employee added to the system (First Name, Last Name, Email, Date of Hire, and Annual Salary). Employees will be required to fill in all remaining demographic fields when they log into their portal.
>>Try it Out:
- Click Edit to fill in the remaining required (*) fields, and click Save.
- The system will flag you if a required field has not been filled in before moving on.
If an employee intends to add a dependent to any of their benefits, they will need to add their family members before completing their profile. When the employee enters the shopping area, they will be able to select which of their dependents they would like to cover on each plan.
>>Try it Out:
- Click to +Add Spouse or Domestic Partner to the employee's profile. Get creative while adding their required (*) demographic information, and then Save.
- Next, click +Add Child to add at least one dependent child.
- Once you've finished adding the employee's dependents, click Complete My Profile.
Shop For Benefits
After employees have entered their personal and dependent information, they will be able to shop for all of the products and benefits that you are offering. Review options in your Benefits Cart as you walk through the employee experience of adding or waiving coverage.
Pay attention to any benefits that are preselected in the employees cart. This preselection of products is typically used for employer paid benefits. An employee will see these when they start the process of enrolling in benefits.
>>Try it Out:
- From the Benefits Cart you can see each type of benefit being offered. Click on the benefit tiles to review plan options.
- If multiple plans are offered within the benefit type, you will see all options laid out. Click on a plan to see more details including cost, copays, deductibles etc.
- If only one plan is offered, you will go directly into the plan's details.
- Select dependents under Who to Cover to see how the rates change for each benefit.
- Once you've selected the covered individuals, click Add To Cart to enroll in the benefit.
- Use the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen to walk through the benefits being offered, or click on the cart icon to go back to the Benefits Cart and select the next benefit.
- Waive at least one product.
- Make sure you are enrolling in a good cross-section of products
- Optional - If you are offering Financial Products to your employees (like a Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Account, or Health Reimbursement Account), walk through adding one of the products to your cart so that you can see how the employee will elect their contribution amount.
- Optional - If you are offering a Voluntary Life plan to your employees, walk through adding the product to your cart so that you can see how the employee will elect their coverage amount. Note the pre-approved amount and any pending amounts if the employee elects over and gets flagged for EOI.
- Once you have finished making your selections, click Proceed to Checkout to move on to the next step.
Review & Submit Enrollment
This is the employee’s opportunity to review their benefit selections, who will be covered, effective dates, and per pay period cost before submitting their enrollment.
>>Try it Out:
- If you’ve selected benefits requiring a beneficiary, click Update My Beneficiaries and fill out the requested fields. You will need to manually add a beneficiary to each product listed in the drop down.
- Optional - Practice any adjustments by clicking Back to Shopping.
- Once benefit elections and beneficiaries are set, click Submit Enrollment to checkout.
Some products may have linked forms that employees will be required to fill out based upon their elections. These forms will show prior to the confirmation page after the employee has submitted their enrollment.
Success! Employees will then be brought to a confirmation page where they can print a summary of their benefits by clicking Print Benefits.
>>Try it Out:
- Click to sign forms if applicable to see how employees will electronically complete and sign any assigned forms.
- Review the confirmation page and try printing the benefits summary.
- Logout of the employee’s portal once you’ve completed all steps, and contact your Implementation Consultant if you have any questions regarding benefit offerings, rates, or product information.
Thank you for taking the time to walk through the Employee Experience. Once you have completed all required trainings, and before you roll out the portal to your employees, please make sure to delete your test employee.