You can set up products to “link together” so the availability of one product is conditional upon the election of another product. This is especially common for financial products. For example, you’ll want to link an HSA to a HDHP medical plan such that the HSA is hidden until the employee selects to enroll in the HDHP medical plan. This works well because you can prevent an employee from selecting an HMO medical plan and an HSA.
You’ll always set up linking on the product in Tempo. Here’s how you’d set up the above example:
- On the medical HDHP product, head to the “Linked Products” tab
- Enter the name of the HSA product as the linked product
- Check that the linked (HSA) product should be “Hidden” until the HDHP product is selected
- Check that the linked (HSA) product should become “Available” once the HDHP product is selected
Common ways to link products together
Here’s all the common ways you can link products together to make for a more intuitive shopping experience.
- Set up the HSA product to be hidden until the employee selects to enroll the HSA-compatible medical product (HDHP).
- Set up the HSA product to be hidden until the employee selects to enroll the HSA-compatible medical product (HDHP). Once the HSA-compatible medical product is selected to enroll, add the HSA product to the employee’s cart. This is useful if the employer is contributing to the HSA account.
- Set up the dental/vision product to be hidden until the employee selects a certain medical product. Once the medical product is selected to enroll, add the dental/vision product to the employee’s cart (select it to enroll)
- Set up the pediatric dental plan to be added to the employee’s cart (selected to enroll) if the employee selects to enroll in a particular medical plan
- Set up the Health Advocate or Teladoc plan to be added to the employee’s cart (selected to enroll) if the employee selects to enroll in a particular medical plan
- Set up a product be hidden until the employee selects to waive another product.
- Maxwell automatically hides an FSA product from the shopping experience if an HSA product is displayed. We will display an LFSA product if an HSA is product is displayed.
- You can also decide if the coverage level of the linked product should match the same coverage level of the base product, and whether or not the coverage level of the linked product can be edited. You’ll likely want to set this up for linking between medical, dental, and vision products.
- For the above scenarios where the linked product is also added to the employee’s cart automatically, you can also decide that the linked product cannot be waived (and therefore removed from the employee’s cart). You can do that on the “Basics” tab in Tempo.
Maxwell does not support linking products in the following ways
- You cannot set up products to link together such that if the employee waives one product, another product is automatically waived.
- We don’t support the linking of three products together. For example, you cannot set up linking such that if the employee selects to enroll in the HDHP, and they waive the HSA, then display the FSA.
Important to keep in mind when choosing to link products together
- Linking benefits together works only for the employee shopping experience. If you're shopping on behalf of the employee on the Administrator side, the linking rules will not always apply. You'll want to make sure that you enroll the employee in each benefit as expected.
- It can be complex to link together medical and financial products with different plan years. When possible, we recommend that linked medical and financial products have the same plan year. If this is not possible, there are two important caveats to consider:
- Example: The medical and HSA plan year is 9/1/21 - 8/31/22, and the FSA plan year is 1/1/22 - 12/31/22.
- The products have been linked such that the FSA is hidden if the employee selects the HSA.
- You hold one OE for medical/HSA products in August 2022, and one for FSA products in December 2022.
- For the December OE, the system will not identify which employees are enrolled in an HSA from the previous Open Enrollment and therefore hide the FSA product. You would need to manage FSA eligibility on an individual basis.
- Linking rules only work during Open Enrollment if all the products are included in the same Open Enrollment event. If you're holding two different Open Enrollment events for a set of the linked products, they will not operate as linked.
- Extra steps are required for any new hires during the gap in effective dates. In Maxwell, employees cannot shop for both current and future products of the same type, at the same time. There is a way to allow the employee to be enrolled in the current product and select the future product, but it does require a few extra steps.