When an employee leaves your company, you have your hands full. Recruiting for the vacant position, scheduling an exit interview, meeting with the team about workload transition—and that’s just the beginning. If you’re like most HR professionals, administrative COBRA work has made its way to the back of your mind after everything else. Of course, you know that getting the former employee all the information they need to understand their coverage options is critical, but it’s never been easy—until now.
We’re excited to announce that our COBRA integration with preferred partner and industry-leading COBRA administrator Discovery Benefits is now live! With this integration, our system will automatically send information to Discovery about employees (and covered dependents) who have newly enrolled in a COBRA-eligible plan, and those who have experienced a COBRA qualifying event. So you can say goodbye to manually entering information into your Discovery employer portal. Sit back, relax, and let our integration take care of that for you!
Our system will automatically send two files over to Discovery on a weekly basis.
- The Initial Enrollee File will include all newly eligible employees (and covered dependents) who have enrolled in medical, dental, vision, or financial products. This will let Discovery know to send the initial general rights notice to inform employees and covered dependents of their COBRA rights if they ever terminate from the plan.
- The Qualifying Event File will include all employees and/or dependents with new COBRA qualifying events, and their associated product/demographic information. To be included on the file, you’ll mark the employee COBRA-eligible due to a qualifying event in Maxwell. This will trigger the information to send over to Discovery, and they’ll take care of the rest!
About Discovery Benefits
Discovery Benefits was founded in 1987 and has been administering COBRA since 1994, growing to become the largest privately owned third-party administrator in the country. Discovery Benefits serves more than 11,000 clients nationwide and has a presence in all 50 states, providing administration services for HSA, FSA, HRA, Commuter Benefits, COBRA, and Billing Solutions.
Having Discovery Benefits as an administrator is an absolute game changer when it comes to easing the headache of COBRA administration. Discovery Benefits sends critical notices to employees and covered family members, handles the enrollment of any qualified beneficiaries who decide to continue coverage, coordinates enrollments/changes/terminations with insurance carriers, and assumes responsibility for COBRA compliance. They also have a web portal where qualified beneficiaries can elect COBRA online, make/view payments, and more, as well as an employer web portal complete with real-time reporting. Learn more about Discovery Benefits and their COBRA offering on our blog!
When you sign up for Discovery Benefits COBRA administration through the Maxwell Marketplace, you’ll receive both the Discovery Benefits’ COBRA administration services as well as the integration with Maxwell for $1.20 per COBRA eligible employee per month with an $85 monthly minimum.
- Note: If you’re already a Discovery COBRA client through the Maxwell Marketplace, you’ll notice that the pricing has remained the same, even with the addition of this integration! In fact, if you have less than 250 COBRA benefit eligible employees, your price has decreased from $1.25 to $1.20 per employee—effective immediately on June 1, 2018!
Getting Set up With Discovery Benefits + Maxwell
- If you’re already a Discovery Benefits COBRA administration customer through the Maxwell Marketplace*, we're already working with Discovery and your Advisor to set up your integration. Either Maxwell or your Advisor will be in touch with next steps! We expect this should take approximately 7 business days once we have the information we need from your Advisor.
- If you’re already a Discovery Benefits COBRA administrator customer, but not through the Maxwell Marketplace, talk to your Advisor about getting this setup with Maxwell. That way, you can take advantage of the integration.
- Not a current Discovery Benefits COBRA customer, but interested in becoming one? Great! Let your Advisor know that you’re interested, and they’ll fill you in on next steps.
*Not sure if you’re a Discovery Benefits customer through the Maxwell Marketplace? Ask your Advisor, and they’ll let you know!
There’s no doubt that having Discovery Benefits as a COBRA administrator helps ease a tremendous burden on your team. And now, you don’t even have to worry about the challenge of remembering to notify Discovery and provide them with all the relevant information promptly to avoid looming deadlines and penalties. Once your Discovery Benefits COBRA integration is set up, you’ll rest easy knowing you’re on top of your COBRA obligations without having to sacrifice your time or sanity!
Other Features in Flight
- We’re not done with COBRA news! We’re bringing industry-leading COBRA vendor Accrue Solutions into the Maxwell Marketplace in June! The Accrue integration will be similar to the Discovery integration explained here. Stay tuned for more details within the next few weeks. In the meantime, check out our blog to get to know Accrue!
- We’re all about integrations this month and making significant progress on our ADP Workforce Now API Integration, which is also expected to go live in June. Dying to know more about the integration? We got you! Check out this sneak peek >
Visit our Product Roadmap for more on what’s to come!
The Improvements Don’t Stop There
For even more good news, check out some other smaller features that are coming soon or were recently released.
- Coming Soon: We know that Open Enrollment can be one of the busiest times of year for HR professionals. Once you finally get through the actual OE window, it can be hard to remember to close everything out in Maxwell. That’s why the HR administrator or Advisor who created and last updated the OE in Maxwell will now receive a reminder two days after the shopping end date if they haven’t yet closed out the OE. This email will be a friendly reminder on next steps (to either close out the OE or extend the OE period).
- Last fall, we released reporting improvements that allow you to quickly and easily get the information you’re looking for out of Maxwell through a new Reports Library with redesigned out-of-the-box reports. Earlier this month, we finished our transition, and all Maxwell out-of-the-box reports are now live in the new Reports Library! Yes, you can now reap the benefits of the new Reports Library, no matter what out-of-the-box report you run! This includes the ability to download reports in seconds, to customize which data displays (and save those column and filter settings as a custom report), to display custom fields, and more! Learn more >
- Did you notice that it’s now easier to get a new hire up and running in Maxwell? In April, we redesigned the individual new hire workflow! Required and optional fields are now clearly marked and separated, any custom fields are listed so you don't have to add those later to the employee's profile, and cleaner validation and instructions better guide you through the process. If you haven’t already, log into Maxwell today and click Add/Edit Employees > Add Employee right from the Dashboard to check it out. Learn how to add a new hire >
- Sometimes it’s the little things! We’ve updated the employee profile to add visibility into the per pay period cost under “Enrolled Products.” We also now display the “Available to Shop” dates on the “Eligible Products” tab after the shopping window has passed, as a record.
Up Your Maxwell Game With New & Improved Training Webinars
- Getting Started with Maxwell: We've shortened this introductory webinar to 30 minutes to focus in on the most critical information you need to know when just getting started.
- New Hire Enrollments: A new standalone session that focuses on the new hire enrollment process. We'll cover everything from adding your new employee to finalizing their submitted elections. This session will also include a deep dive into the employee shopping experience. This is great if you’re new or need a refresher!
- Explore Your Maxwell Tool Kit - Advanced Reporting: This session goes beyond the basics and dives deeper into specific examples of the reports you’ll use most often in Maxwell.
Thanks for reading! As always, we welcome your suggestions, questions, feedback. Even random thoughts :) We want to hear from you. Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.