Add or remove a dependent from coverage on behalf of an employee by following the steps below. Please note that an employee can also initiate this by requesting a change on their side.
Prefer learning by video? Check out these resources:
- Add a dependent to benefits coverage
- Remove a dependent from benefits coverage
- Correcting employee benefit enrollments
Navigate to the employee’s profile by clicking People > Active Employees > View Profile. From here, there are different steps depending on whether the change is due to a correction or a life event.
If this change is due to a correction
For example, the employee just finished their enrollment but forgot their spouse and you haven’t processed the enrollment with the carrier yet. Take the following steps:
- Click the drop-down on the benefit under the “Benefits” tab. Select “Edit Benefit.”
- Check the box next to the dependent you would like to add (or, uncheck the box if you’d like to remove the dependent). Click Save. The effective date will default to today’s date, but you can change that.
Note: if you want to change the effective date to the same date as the existing enrollment, you’ll need to delete the existing enrollment first.
- Scroll to the bottom of the “Benefits” page and click Next.
- On the “Review Updates” screen, you’ll see that the spouse has been added to the benefit. If this plan has any other plans linked to it (such as an HSA linked to a medical HDHP), you’ll also see that plan was updated. Click Approve all Updates.
- You can choose to notify the employee that the update has been taken care of by checking off the “notify” box. Click Approve Updates.
- Whether you choose to send the employee an update or skip it, you’ll see the dependent is now covered on the benefit under the employee’s “Benefits” tab.
If the change is due to a life event
If you need to add or remove a spouse due to a life event, follow the steps outlined in this article.