Maxwell Health and BambooHR have built out an integration that allows for all of your employees’ demographic information to be pulled down from BambooHR into Maxwell Health automatically. The integration also notifies you when specific changes have been made, such as a new employee being added, an employee being terminated. The notifications will guide you to complete the necessary workflow in Maxwell Health to reflect any changes made in BambooHR.
In this article, you'll learn about:
- How the integration works
- Setting up Your BambooHR Integration
- Managing Employee Changes with your BambooHR integration
Once your BambooHR integration has been set up and turned on, your employees’ demographic information will change in Maxwell Health every time it’s changed in BambooHR. Any employee changes made in BambooHR will be synced down immediately, with a notification being sent to the Administrator and/or Advisor within 15 minutes.
BambooHR is the system of record for all employee demographic information, while Maxwell Health is the system of record for all benefit/election information. Please note that Maxwell Health is the system of record for all dependents’ information.
- If you’re adding a new employee, terminating an existing employee, or changing an employee’s demographic information, the changes need to be made in BambooHR first. This is important, as any new information or changes to BambooHR will then be automatically reflected--and override the current demographic information--in the Maxwell Health system.
- In the Integrations Log, view a status of your syncs, and a record of every sync that has occurred. Find the Log under Settings > Integrations > BambooHR under Current Integrations tab > Details > Log (see screenshot below).
- If you a add a new employee to BambooHR whose email address matches an employee’s email address in the Maxwell Health system, the new user will not be able to be created in Maxwell Health. This is because email address is a unique value across Maxwell Health.
- You can manually sync at any time by clicking Sync in Maxwell Health, however, this is not recommended. The manual sync will pull all the information BambooHR has on record and update Maxwell Health accordingly.
- The BambooHR integration will update the following fields for employees:
- First Name & Last Name
- Job Title
- Work Phone & Mobile Phone
- Address (Line 1 & 2), City, State, Zip Code
- Email Address
- Date of Birth
- Employment Status (Active vs. Inactive)
- Date of Hire
- Rehire Date (if applicable)
- Termination Date
- Compensation, including:
- Pay Rate (e.g. “$20” for hourly or “$65,000” for salary)
- Pay Type (Please note this integration only supports “Hourly” or “Salary” as the Pay Type).
- If you have an “Hourly” Pay Type set for an employee in BambooHR, you’ll need to make sure the “Standard Hours Per Week” field in the employee’s “Job” tab is filled out.
- The integration works on the assumption that this rate is applicable for 52 weeks of the year. This means that if you have an employee who works variable hours throughout the year, this calculation may be affected. Their benefits may rely on the salary being re-calculated, which will need to be done manually.
Set up your BambooHR integration
Setting up and turning on your BambooHR integration is done entirely by the Maxwell team, after receiving information from your Advisor.
Maxwell will ask your Advisor to:
- Provide your BambooHR SubDomain
- Your SubDomain is the beginning of the URL you use to get to your BambooHR portal. For example, Dunder Mifflin gets to their BambooHR portal by going to dunder.bambooHR.com. Therefore, their SubDomain is “dunder”.
- Provide your BambooHR API key, which is generated out of BambooHR
- Create or update “Benefit Group” names in BambooHR to be exactly as you have them set up in Maxwell. Please note:
- Spaces, special characters, and case must all be consistent.
- In BambooHR, use the employee field editor to place all employees in a “Benefit Group,” including those not eligible for benefits.
- Note for large groups, use the power editor in BambooHR to add employees in bulk.
- Create a Benefit Group called “Ineligible Employees” for all non-benefit eligible employees.
- If you do not have the “Benefit Group” custom field, you’ll need to submit a request to BambooHR Support to add it. Call 801-724-6600, or email email@example.com. For more information, visit BambooHR’s support website.
- Confirm your employee data in BambooHR is updated and accurate, and that it matches the information in Maxwell Health.
- Correct any missing or incorrect baseline information (first name, last name, SSN, email) in your BambooHR portal.
- Confirm that the "Benefit Group" field(s) in your BambooHR portal match the "Group" settings in your Maxwell Health portal, and that all employees are in the correct Benefit Group in BambooHR.
After your BambooHR integration has been set up and turned on, you should follow the steps outlined in this PDF to ensure that everything is set up correctly in BambooHR. You should also make sure to set up notifications in Maxwell.
Once you've set up your BambooHR integration, and your integration sync has been turned on, after a change is made to an employee's information in BambooHR, it will automatically by synced with the Maxwell Health system within 15 minutes.
If there’s a major change to employee information on a sync, you’ll be notified with the information necessary to then manually kick off an event.
- Read how to process new hires with your BambooHR integration
- Read how to process terminations with your BambooHR integration
- Read how to process change requests with your BambooHR integration
- The BambooHR integration will always show as "Off," even though it's been turned on by Maxwell
- If an employee does not sync from BambooHR to Maxwell Health correctly (i.e. you see an error in the integration log, please check the following):
- First Name, Last Name, and Email Address were entered correctly in BambooHR (these are case sensitive fields and may cause duplicate employees if entered incorrectly)
- "Benefit Groups" in BambooHR must be an exact match to "Eligibility Groups" in Maxwell
- Every employee in BambooHR is assigned a "Benefit Group," even if they're not eligible for benefits. Create a Benefit Group called “Ineligible Employees” for all non-benefit eligible employees i.e. contractors, part-timers, interns, etc.
- Make sure "Pay Type" is "Hourly" or "Salary," and if "Hourly," make sure the “Standard Hours Per Week” field in the employee’s “Job” tab is filled out
- To prevent duplicate employees in Maxwell, when you enter an employee to BambooHR always fill out the First Name, Last Name, and Email Address