After you’ve set up and kicked off your Open Enrollment (OE) and your employees have started shopping, you can monitor their progress right in Maxwell. Here you'll find all the steps to take during your OE to make sure it runs smoothly.
This article covers the following steps:
Monitor employee progress on the dashboard
The Dashboard is the best place to view your employees’ progress at a high level. You’ll see how many days are left in Open Enrollment, as well as the employees who haven’t started, how many are in progress, and how many have checked out of shopping. You can click into each circle to view a list of the employees in each progress status, as well as relevant information like their last login date (for Employees in Progress) and last checkout date (for Employees Completed). See this article for the details on each status.
Send reminder emails to employees
You may find your employees will need some nudging to complete their OE. You can send employees a targeted reminder email right from the dashboard. A prepared sample template will be loaded and ready to go for “Employees Not Started” and “Employees in Progress,” but you can always select a different template if needed.
Extend Open Enrollment
If you have employees who are not going to complete their enrollment in time, you have the option of extending your Open Enrollment period. We recommend extending the OE in bulk for all employees, even if you only need to allow one person to shop for longer. The reason is that the employee will be separated from the OE otherwise, and certain expectations won’t work as a result. For example, if any forms are associated with the enrollment and encoded to populate “Open Enrollment” as the reason for the form, that field will not auto-populate.
Extend for all employees
You can extend OE during your OE period and even after it ends by clicking No, Extend Open Enrollment either from the dashboard or under Benefits > Open Enrollment > Set up Open Enrollment.
- Only Master Administrators will have the ability to extend OE in bulk
- When you extend Open Enrollment, make sure you’re still leaving enough time to submit information to the carriers before the product effective date
- You should not extend Open Enrollment if you’ve processed any of the products included in the OE. This will reopen the products for shopping, the employee will need to make their elections again, and you’ll have a history of a product that did not really exist. It’s best practice to let products automatically process in bulk when you end the OE (after employees are no longer shopping for products).
Extend for one individual employee
Although it’s not recommended, you can extend the OE period for an individual employee in the employee’s profile on the “Eligible Products” tab. They will be removed from the Open Enrollment event, which can have downstream consequences. Follow these steps. (Click here for video.)
- Select all the products you want to extend the “Available to Shop” dates for and click Bulk Edit.
- You’ll be asked to provide a change reason. Select “Administrative Change” and click Continue.
- You’ll see a pop-up. Change the “End Date” to the next day, or however much time you think the employee will need.
Once your OE period has ended, you’ll be ready to close out your Open Enrollment! Check out this article for everything you need to know.